Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Any Questions? - Mutation (Single)


Reaching #32 on the CMJ RPM charts in 2000, our Any Questions? - Mutation CD release was a resounding success. Much of that success was built upon the title track, Mutation, which led off the CD and was featured on radio stations, CD compilations, and dance floors worldwide.

The genesis of this song began in 1997 while I (Ttam Troll) was on vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC. I had recently purchased a Roland MC-303 groovebox but hadn't had the chance to learn how to use it. I figured that there would be no better time to learn it than when I was on vacation. So, I took the opportunity to challenge myself to do two things. First, learn how to program the MC-303 and second, to see how many song sequences I could write in 5 days.

The first challenge proved to be the most difficult. I had been using computer sequencing (Steinberg Cubase) since the early '90s and trying to come to grips with a very archaic hardware-based sequencer was mind-numbing. The six digit display was no substitute for the GUI of the software-based sequencers that I had become accustomed to. However, I persevered and, by the end of day two, I was fully up and running and was able to make it do my evil bidding.

At this point, since I could actually operate the MC-303, I was ready to begin the 2nd part of my challenge. The ideas flowed freely and, by the end of the week, I had amassed 20 song sequences. To this day, I'm still not sure how it happened. I'm usually not that prolific. Was it the 105+ degree temperatures, the subarctic condo, the warm ocean and pool waters, my self-imposed isolation, or the bevy of bikini clad women that seemed to always parade by? Who knows?

Anyway, it was about a year later that MC2P4 and I revisited the song sequences that I wrote on that vacation and one idea immediately stood out as being a keeper. We wasted no time and began adding additional synth and drum parts to it. We later added a round of samples (all from the 1996 movie, 12 Monkeys) and recorded my vocals. I mixed the song a few days later and it was complete. This song also has the distinction of being the first song that we completed for our Mutation CD release.

Here it is for your listening pleasure...


P.S. The picture of a portly Ttam Troll was taken in 1998 at Floating Fish Studios during the actual vocal recording session for this song. Also note the pumpkin necklace, a standard fashion accessory for Ttam Troll during this time period.

No comments: