Wednesday, October 21, 2009

County Orchestra Festival (1987)

The Place: Shippensburg Area Senior High School
The Time: February 28, 1987
The Occasion: Cumberland-Adams County Orchestra Festival

I had been playing double bass for less than a year at the time of this performance. Though I had played electric bass since I was 13 (circa 1983), it wasn't until Mr (Kurt) Hargleroad heard/saw my performance with the rock band Fantasia (Ken Chandler - Vocals, Dirk Frey - Guitar, Matt Norcross - Bass, and Lonny Fiber - Electronic Drums) in the Fall of 1985 at a SASHS talent show that he approached me and asked if I wanted to continue my bass studies with him.

I jumped at the chance to work with him since he had the reputation of being a very accomplished musician and an excellent educator. I discovered first hand that was all true! He pushed me to become a much better electric bass player and, luckily for me, he encouraged me to broaden my musical horizons which eventually led to my study of double bass technique and music theory. Along the way, he helped me land my first professional music gig playing electric bass for the Sounds of the Decades, paved the way for my entrance to college as a music education major at IUP, and even managed to get me into a marching band uniform (but let's try to forget that).

But I digress, let's get back to this performance. Under the direction of Guest Conductor - Blaine Shover, here is Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (Movement I). Enjoy...