Friday, July 31, 2009

The sign is still there...

To carry on the theme of vinyl records from my last post, I thought that I'd share a picture that I took this past weekend while I was visiting my parents in Shippensburg.  

This shot is what remains of Record City located at the Southgate Mall in Chambersburg, PA.  Back during my record buying days in the '80s, I frequented the Southgate Mall to go to the movies, buy books, mags, and D&D (Dungeons & Dragons) stuff at the book store, and, while there, I would always pop into Record City to see what they had.  Record City wasn't a big store and it didn't have a great selection of music but it did have some cool stuff and it was always fun to pick through the bins to see what was there.  I can remember picking up Iron Maiden's Killers album there as well as others over the years.  I even bought my first (and only) studded leather bracelet at the store.  Back in 7th grade ('82-'83), that was pretty cool!

Record City may not have been as good as Capital City Mall's Listening Booth (Camp Hill, PA) or Halfway's Waxie Maxie's (Hagerstown, MD).  I don't remember it having the letter to price board (H = $6.99, I = $7.99, etc), import metal mags like Kerrang!, or frequent buyer program self-adhesive stickers but it still deserves to be remembered as a great independent record store.  An almost extinct breed!

3 comments:

Thee SUB ONE Genius said...

Yep! That's still there! I passed by the Southgate Mall back in February! I also stopped by the Chambersburg Hardee's to find out if anyone I had worked with in Shippensburg still worked there! I know some employees had transferred there from time to time, especially the managers but no one familiar was working yet the menu was still pretty familiar! They still have the Big Twin Burger!

Ttam Troll said...

Does Hardee's still have the Monster Burger?

Thee SUB ONE Genius said...

Yes they do! Check out Hardee's website!